Part Time Bookkeeper
Food Justice Coalition is a 501(c)3 non-profit that exists as an immediate resource for people experiencing hunger to be connected with free and nutritious ready-to-eat meals. We are a volunteer-operated collective working to build equitable, resilient food systems and food sovereignty for all. Our coalition consists of students, farmers, restaurants, non-profits, local businesses, community leaders, academic institutions, and individual community members. Our work focuses on direct relief, education, advocacy and long-term solutions to address the root cause of food insecurity.
Work with the Food Justice Coalition staff to oversee the organizations financial data and compliance by maintaining accurate books on accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and financial entries and reconciliations. Perform accounting tasks such as monthly financial reporting, general ledger entries, and record payments and adjustments.
Job Type: Part-Time, Contract – 10 hrs per month
Work Location: Remote and/or In-Person
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date financial records, including accounts payable and receivable, general ledger entries, and bank reconciliations.
- Process invoices, receipts, payments, and other financial transactions promptly and accurately.
- Prepare financial reports, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Assist with the preparation of annual financial statements and annual budgets.
- Conduct regular reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy.
- Monitor and analyze financial data to identify discrepancies and resolve any issues.
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles and standards.
- Collaborate with the board and accountant to support the month-end and year-end closing processes.
- Communicate effectively with clients, vendors, and internal stakeholders regarding financial matters
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field (preferred) OR relevant work experience.
- 2+ years of experience in accounting and/or bookkeeping.
- Proficient in using accounting software (QuickBooks Online preferred) and MS, Excel.
- Experience with nonprofit accounting is preferred.
- Experience with grant accounting is preferred.
- Solid understanding of basic accounting principles and practices.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- High level of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience working with diverse communities, organizations, and agencies.